Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hardest Decisions

Sometimes in life we are faced with some very tough decisions. I am finding myself smack in the middle of TWO, count em, TWO decisions that I have to make.

The first is a personal decision. I have chosen to cut ties with a long time friend who does nothing but drag me down. Its always about their life, their needs, their wants. Its 1am phone calls, and advice wanted. Only to find out that they stay in the same cycle day in and day out. They seem to forget that I have needs/wants myself. But its always the same. "Woe is me. Woe is me. You cant possibly understand how bad my life is." My advice has always been the same. What would it take to make your life better? Followed by hours long phone calls and IM's and text messages. We talk about choices to make, ideas to persue, and a plan of action. But, three days later. Its the same phone call all over again. "My life sucks. My job sucks. My relationship sucks." Its a neverending bitter cycle that I refuse to be involved in anymore. Its killing me inside to know that they just wont have the kind of friendship with the rest of their friends as I have always been the one to tell the honest unabridged truth. And its killing me to tell this person Goodbye.

But I will be stronger for it.

The second is a decision that I hope no one else ever wants to make in a million years. The decision from the appeals process has been decided. Tricare is NOT going to cover Alvin's helmet. No way, no shape, no form. I had been talking to the Health Benefits Advisor(HBA) at the clinic. She was working with me and trying to convince the HBA of Tricare that this was indeed medically necessary. To no avail. Also, the clinic was toying with the idea of helping us to pay it themselves. This has since fallen through as well. So, unless we can come up with the money ourselves, its looking like Alvin wont get his helmet. So, the only other thing we can do is wait until after he is a year old. Petition to have his development monitored and then attempt to have neurosurgery to fix his head. This process can take up to a year and half to complete. Or..

We can do nothing and just let him develop however he is going to develop. Right now, after reviewing his file, the doctors feel that he is the developmental equivalent of a 4 month old. He is almost 8 months old and it breaks my heart.

What to do? What to do? And how do I tell Eric? Email? Or do I just wait until he gets home? Sigh. Hard decisions, no easy answers.


Miss Hope October 1, 2008 at 11:37 PM  

Oh my. This is just wrong. Plain and simple. Can you do an appeal to their decision? And keep appealing until you get the answer you need? I know you've done everything you can think of. I just wish it weren't like this. I hate being at the mercy of Tricare. Hate it.